This Middle Eastern favorite is made of ground chickpeas. Falafel tastes great combined with cucumber, yogurt, red onions, tomatoes, and beans of any kind. You can make your falafel from a mix or follow the recipe below for homemade patties.
- Ready in: about a 1/2 hour
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- /2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, each cut in half crosswise
- 4 thin red onion slices
- Your choice of cucumber slices, tomato slices, avocado or guacamole, and salad greens
- Optional: serve with prepared hummus
To prepare patties, place chickpeas in a medium bowl and partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 4 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Shape chickpea mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
Place 1 patty in each pita half. Stuff in the vegetables or guacamole until the pita is filled.