Load up on vegetables with this colorful vegetarian chili. Sprinkle a little cheese on top or eat your bowl of chili with a yummy hunk of bread to make this a complete protein. Chopped green onions also make a nice garnish.
- Ready in: about an hour and 1/2
- Serves: 12
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 19 oz. cans red kidney beans
- 2 19 oz. cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 envelope taco seasoning or 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute about 8 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add beans, taco seasoning, basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Stir 2 minutes.
- Mix in tomato sauce, chicken broth and tomato paste.
- Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 and a half hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot
Make in advance:
Refrigerate until cold then reheat over low when ready to serve.