Tomato and Pesto sandwiches are a simple and refreshing meal, great for a hot day. You can use store-bought tomatoes and pesto for a quick meal. This treat is the most rewarding when you have grown your fresh tomatoes and prepared your own pesto.
Tomato and Pesto Sandwiches
- Complexity: easy
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4-cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2-cup olive oil
- French baguette
- Large tomatoes
- Goat cheese
This is a relatively loose recipe; you can alter the measurements depending on how you like your pesto.
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Homemade pesto also freezes well for use later.
Choose whichever types of cheese you enjoy with tomatoes and pesto. Brie and goat cheese both have excellent flavor and spread easily.
- Slice the baguette into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Very lightly oil and toast in 350-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes. The bread slices should be very lightly toasted.
- Slice tomatoes into thick rounds.
- To serve, place each ingredient individually on the table.
- To eat, spread some pesto and cheese on a piece of toast and top with a tomato slice, then enjoy as many as you like.
- These sandwiches are also excellent with just pesto and cheese for those who don't like tomatoes.