A southern favorite. Great as a side for a BBQ or potluck.
- Ready in: about a 1/2 hour
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: easy
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green onions with tops -- chopped
- 2 17 oz cans whole kernel corn -- drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed or use the traditional lima beans or try kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
traditional Succotash is made with fresh lima beans. This recipe calls for black beans, but feel free to add your favorite bean to the recipe - it will be delicious.
- Cut grean beans and sweet red bell pepper in rounds the size of corn; cook with 1/2 teaspoon salt about 5 to 8 minutes or until tender crisp, drain.
- Saute green onions in butter until transparent (do not brown).
- Add corn, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, celery salt and sugar, then black (lima) beans. Simmer succotash, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or room temperature