While I am not a chili aficionado, I know what I like when it comes to food. We found a canned (sorry, I said canned) vegetarian chili that tastes great by itself. But as with any good canned food, it could use a little spicing up! A little onion and jalapeño and some spices did just the trick!!! ENJOY!!!
Simple Tasty Vegetarian Chili
- Ready in: 30 - 45 minutes
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: very easy
- 2 large cans WORTHINGTON, vegetarian chili 1/4 cup chopped onions 1 fresh jalapeño chili's (stem & seeds removed) 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder(to taste) 1-2 teaspoons red pepper (to taste) 1 1/2 c cold water 2 Table spoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 fresh jalapeño chili's (stem & seeds removed)
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder(to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 c cold water
- 2 Table spoons olive oil
- Chop onions, fine or coarse, you choose
- After removing the stems and seeds, cut jalapeño peppers in to about 1/8" strips
- Saute onions and peppers together in olive oil. (You can also roast the jalapeño's rather than sauteing them)
- Pour chili from can to a large 4 quart pot, add water and begin heating a medium heat.
- Add red pepper, garlic powder, and sauted onions & jalapeños.
- Cover and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 30-45 minutes stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve
We enjoy this chili with a fresh batch of cast iron baked cornbread. If your in a hurry or traveling, you can use Jiffy cornbread mix. This is the perfect light meal for a cold day.