A true southern favorite. Creamy grits with fresh plump shrimp.
Shrimp and Grits
- Ready in: 15 minutes prep + 30 to 45 minutes cook time
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 3/4 cup yellow stone-ground grits
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese + extra for topping
- 4 slices bacon cooked, 2 T drippings reserved
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup diced yellow & redf bell pepper
- 2 green onions slided in rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and evaporated milk to a boil. Stir in the grits, and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until silky, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese, until melted.
- Set aside and keep warm
- Cook and stir bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a bowl.
- Season Shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from the skillet and cook and stir shrimp, bell peppers, and onion in bacon drippings until shrimp are bright pink and no longer translucent inside and peppers and onions are tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Crumble bacon and stir bacon into shrimp mixture.
- To serve spoon grits onto a plate and top with shrimp, cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Serve hot.