A traditional German Oktoberfest dish that is a great compliment for grilled sausages.
Red Cabbage and Apples
- Ready in: about an hour
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: easy
- 1 Red Cabbage
- 2 Cooking Apples
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Malt Vinegar
- 1/4 pint Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion - like vidalia - thinnly sliced and separated into rings
- Pre-shred the Cabbage before you leave home or use the pre-shredded packaged slaw.
- On site peel & slice the Apples. I like to use green apples - they make the dish look pretty.
- Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Cover tightly and simmer on the low heat until the Cabbage is cooked (about an hour).
- Check occasionally to ensure that liquid remains. Add water if needed.
This could easily be made in advance and re-heated or served room temperature.