Serve warm or room temperature. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in tin foil, then toss these on the campfire the night before so you'll have potatoes already cooked for this recipe. If you have access to a microwave you can shorten prep time by microwaving the potatoes.
Tip. In some supermarkets they sell bags of tri-color fingerling or heirloom potatoes.
Patriotic Potato Salad Recipe
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: easy
- 2 to 3 cups of white fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise or quartered depending on size
- 2 to 3 cups small red potatoes, quatered or halved depending on size
- 2 to 3 cups of small blue or purple potaoes, quatered or halved depending on size
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- squeeze of lemon
- 1 package precooked bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (or to taste)
- Bottled crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Mexican Blend cheese, shredded
- A dash or two of Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Heat grill to high or if cooking over a campfire make sure you have hot coals and very little flame.
- Wash and scrub potatoes
- drizzle with olive oil
- toss with chopped rosemary
- Wrap potatoes in heavy duty tin foil.
- "Bake" until tender, about 40 minutes depending on size.
- when finished cooking squeeze lemon over top and toss
- Let cool.
- In a skillet cook/heat bacon until crispy. Then drain on a paper towel.
- Combine butter, dijon mustard and sour cream in a large bowl season to taste with salt and pepper and hot sauce if you are using
- Stir in the potatoes, bacon, scallions, garlic and cheese.
- Serve at warm or at room temperature and garnish with cilantro.