Warm mulled wine is a perfect adult winter treat.
- Ready in: 15 to 20 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- Zest from one orange
- 5 cloves
- Optional: 1/2 c brandy
- Optional: orange slices
- Pour the wine into a heavy-bottomed pot and place over low heat. It's important not to boil the wine, only heat it.
- Use a zester or knife to take the zest from the orange (avoiding the white pith). Use the end of your knife to pound the zest lightly to release its aroma. Add to wine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the wine and let simmer gently, stirring occasionally.
- When the wine begins to steam, it's ready to serve.
- Remove from heat and ladle into mugs. Leave the spices behind and discard.
- Serve with orange slices if desired