No Derby Party is complete without the Mint Julep which has been the traditional beverage of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby for nearly a century. Each year, almost 120,000 Early Times Mint Juleps are served over the two-day period of the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby. This is a feat that requires over 10,000 bottles of Early Times Mint Julep Ready-to-Serve Cocktail, 1,000 pounds of freshly harvested mint and 60,000 pounds of ice.
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 Cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Early Times Kentucky Whisky
- Silver Julep Cups (optional - but it is the tradition)
- Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes.
- Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight.
- Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whiskey.
- Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.