The ever-present, classic Lemon Shake Up is the universal fair drink. If you are looking to enjoy this cool and refreshing drink on some hot day, here is the simple recipe so you can make them for yourself rather than waiting for the fair!
Lemon Shake Up
- Serves: 2
- Complexity: easy
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups ice cubes (minimum)
- 1 cup ice water
- Boil the water and sugar in a small sauce pan, boil for about 5 minutes stirrring constantly, or until the sugar is completely dissolved. This is called simple syrup and can be used in many drink recipes that combine sugar and water. Boiling the sugar and water together helps keep the sugar from settling at the bottom, which keeps the flavor of the drink even.
- Cut the lemons into halves. Juice all four halves, reserving the rinds.
- Add the lemon juice to the simple syrup. Chill the lemon syrup in the fridge.
- Crush the ice cubes in a blender. Put half of the crushed ice, about 1 cup, into a cocktail shaker. Add half of the chilled syrup to the ice in the shaker, about 1/2 cup. Add 1/2 cup ice water to the shaker, cover and shake well. If you don't have a shaker combine the ice, ice water and syrup into a tall glass and stir well.
- Place one reserved lemon half into a tall glass and pour the contents of the shaker into the glass.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make the second drink. Serve immediately.