Start this recipe at least a day in advance and can be prepared ahead and frozen
Kentucky Burgoo (adapted from Southern Living Recipe)
- Ready in: 2 days
- Serves: 12
- Complexity: advanced
- 1 (4-5 lb.) chicken
- 2 lbs beef or veal stew meat
- 1-1/2 to 2 lbs beef or veal bones
- 1 stalk celery with leaves cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 carrot cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion quartered
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 3 quarts water
- 1 red pepper pod
- 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 onions finely chopped
- 6 14 1/2 oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 turnip peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green peppers finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh butterbeans
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 2 cups sliced frozen okra
- 2 cups frozen cut corn
- Combine first 14 ingredients in a large dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Cool, strain meat mixture, reserving meat and liquid; discard vegetables.
- Remove bone, skin, gristle from meat; finely chop meat.
- Return meat to liquid, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove fat layer on mixture and add remaining ingredients and a piece of fat back.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 3 hours or to desired consistency, stirring mixture frequently to prevent sticking.
- Remove the piece of fat back before serving Serve with tabasco.