A bacon-studded potato salad made with a dressing of bacon fat, vinegar, seasonings and sometimes sugar. German potato salad can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.
German Potato Salad Recipe
- Ready in: 30 minutes
- Complexity: easy
- 6 lrg potatoes, diced
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp of brown German mustard
- 1-2 tbsp flour, more if needed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 4 T water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes; cook until tender but not mushy, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Drain and chop.
- Cook bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towel, crumble and set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the flour, sugar, mustard, water and vinegar to skillet and cook in reserved bacon fat over medium heat until it thickens.
- Add bacon, potatoes and onions to skillet and stir until coated.
- Cook until heated and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or cold.
This can be easily be made in advance. And transported to your campsite.