The funnel cake is a treat that can be found at almost any fair. It is the treat that many of us look forward to having once a year at the local fair. Now, you can learn to make these sumptuous treats for yourself, family and friends.
- Complexity: medium
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Mix the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add wet ingredients, milk and eggs and mix until the batter is smooth. (Note: if you don't want to make your own batter, you can purchase boxed plain white cake mix, which makes a decent replacement for homemade batter)
- Fill a deep, medium-sized skillet with about 2 inches of vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium heat until the oil is about 350 to 375 degrees.
- Pour batter into a gallon sized re-sealable bag and clip one corner off to squeeze batter through. You can also use a squeeze bottle or a pastry tube.
- When oil is at the desired temperature, squeeze the batter into the oil. As you are squeezing the batter into the oil you want to make a light, lacy lattice pattern. Your batter should have plenty of holes, you don't to create a blob. The holes help the batter cook evenly.
- Cook about 1 min on each side, turning only once. Each side of the funnel cake should be golden brown.
- When the funnel cake is done remove from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Allow the cake to drain and pat gently with a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar, top with whichever toppings you enjoy and serve hot.