Crisp, light, and sweet funnel cakes are the stuff of happy childhood memories. This recipe makes about 8 cakes. In addition to the ingredients and frying pan, you will also need a funnel.
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: easy
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (or other flavoring, if you prefer)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oil to 375 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and flavoring until well blended. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Hold your finger over the funnel opening to keep it closed while you fill it with 3/4 cup of the filling. Lower the funnel until your hand is near the oil and carefully remove your finger. Be careful not to burn yourself!
- Move the funnel around to make shapes in the hot oil. Fry the cake until golden on both sides. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Dust with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.