A hot, savory meal that's served right off the campfire.
For a vegetarian option omit beef. If you like you can replace beef with eggplant or portabello mushrooms.
Dutch Oven Lasagna Recipe
- Ready in: 30 minutes prep time + 1 hour cook time
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: medium
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large jar spaghetti sauce
- 9 oz shredded mozzarella
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 c ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 13 pre-cooked lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- sprinkle garlic salt
- 3/4 c hot water
- Preheat the Dutch oven by setting in the coals.
- Brown the ground beef in the oven or in a skillet.
- Move the beef to a large mixing bowl and add the spaghetti sauce; mix well.
- In another bowl, add the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese (reserve a few ounces), eggs, herbs, garlic salt, and mix well.
- Break up four lasagna noodles and place them in the bottom of the oven.
- Spread about 1/3 of the meat mixture over the noodles.
- Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the meat mixture.
- Break up five noodles and place over the top of the preceding layers.
- Spread 1/2 of the remaining meat mixture over the noodles.
- Spread the remaining cheese mixture over the meat mixture.
- Break up the remaining noodles and place over the cheese mixture.
- Spread the remaining meat mixture over the noodles.
- Pour the hot water all around the edges of the oven.
- Place the lid on the oven and bake one hour or until done. Check frequently.