Using a Dutch Oven is a fantastic way to make delicious foods on the campfire. You can also use this recipe in a cast-iron skillet in the oven.
Dutch Oven Corn Bread
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter or oil
- 1 egg
- Mix together the dry ingredients and mix the wet ingredients together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and quickly mix the wet ingredients with the dry.
- Lightly grease the dutch over and place the dutch oven over the fire to warm.
- When the dutch oven is warm, pour in the cornbread batter, making sure that it is even.
- Cover the dutch oven and place over 10-12 briquettes, then cover with another 10-12 coals on the top.
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the cornbread is lightly browned on top.