A zesty chili with a cornbread crust.
Omit beef for a vegetarian chili. Add black beans and corn for a twist on the traditional.
Dutch Oven Chili Recipe
- Ready in: 30 minutes to preheat the dutch oven. 10 minutes to assemble. 45 minutes cook time.
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 t chili powder
- one can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- one can (15 oz.) chili beans
- 1/2 t salt
- one box (6 oz) cornbread mix
- 1 egg (for cornbread)
- some water (for cornbread)
- In a preheated Dutch oven, brown onion in the butter.
- Add beef, brown it, and drain off the fat.
- Add beans, chili powder, salt, and tomato sauce.
- Cook 15 minutes in a covered Dutch oven.
- Mix cornbread as directed on package and spoon it over the meat and bean mixture.
- Replace the lid and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.