Rich, creamy corn chowder with with sweet crab meat.
Crab and Corn Bisque
- Ready in: 20 minutes prep + 20 minutes cook time
- Complexity: medium
- 4 bacon slices (uncooked)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, diced (about 1/4-inch)
- 1 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 1/8 cup cooking sherry
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- paprika to taste
- dash or 2 of tabasco
- Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large soup pot. Remove bacon and set aside to drain.
- Add the onion, fresh thyme to the soup pot; cook 3–4 minutes until softened.
- Whisk the milk and flour together; add to the pot. Add the chicken broth and potatoes, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Crumble the bacon.
- Add corn, creamed corn + cooking sherry and cook 5 minutes
- Stir in the crab, cilantro, lime juice, salt, paprika and bacon; cook until heated through.
- Serve hot.