Grown-up flavors in a easy to make soup. This is a great make ahead soup (can be made a day ahead) and because it doesn't have to be warmed, it is great for those hot summer evenings or a quick refreshment when taking a rest from the drive!
Chilled Pea and Tarragon Soup Recipe
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
- 1 T Butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 T all purpose flour
- 1 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 10 oz pkg. frozen peas or 1 pound fresh peas (shelled)
- Creme fraiche or sour cream
- Fresh tarragon leaves
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat
- Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes.
- Gradually mix in broth.
- Add peas and chopped tarragon.
- Simmer until peas are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain peas in processor.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and puree until smooth.
- Gradually blend in remaining broth.
- Transfer to medium bowl and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Garnish each with small amount of creme fraiche or sour cream and tarragon leaves and serve.