Festive enough for special occasions - simple enough for everyday.
Chicken Skewers with Spicy Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
- Chicken Skewers:
- Chicken tenders or chicken breasts cut into 2 in stips
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Rosemary
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeño chile, seeded
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard 1 teaspoon Tabasco 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco (you may choose to use more or less)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Chicken Skewer Directions
1. Marinate chicken in lemon, juice salt and pepper and rosemary.
2. thread on skewers like a satay.
3. grill until almost cooked through.
4. slather with BBQ sauce
5. grill until caramelized and cook completely
Blueberry BBQ sauce directions
1. Heat the oil in a nonreactive saucepan. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, mustard and Tabasco and bring to a simmer. Add the blueberries and simmer over low heat, stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
3. Puree the sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pass through a strainer and season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve at room temperature.
Make Ahead - this sauce can be made several days in advance and refrigerated.