You'll be amazed - this is super easy and chances are you'll never make pizza in your oven again.
This will make enough dough for 4 large pizzas or 8 individual crusts.
Tip: Crust can be made in advance and frozen unitl use.
Campfire Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
- Ready in: 2 to 3 hours for dough + just minutes of cooking time
- Serves: 10
- Complexity: easy
- 3 cups unbleached white bread flour 1 & 2/3 cups whole-wheat flour1 & 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees) 2 tablespoons honey 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 package active dry yeast 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 & 2/3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more as needed
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt ( I prefer sea salt)
- Combine warm water, oil, yeast and honey in a small bowl.
- Mix flours and salt together thoroughly in food processor or mixer. Let stand 5 minutes or until it bubbles.
- Add warm water mixture while blending. Let mix 2 minutes.
- Knead briefly on a lightly floured surface. Don't over work dough.
- Place in a large oiled bowl and let stand in a warm place for 2-3 hours. It should double in size.
- On a floured surface roll out 1/4 of the dough or a large pizza or 1/8 for individual crusts.
- Now you can either freeze the crust or use them right way.
- Place on heavy tin foil (preferably the non-stick kind).
- Grill 2-3 minutes then top with your favorite toppings. (Watching carefully to avoid burning).
- Ffinish grilling until toppings are heated through and cheese melts.
Freeze and use later:
- roll crust to desired thickeness
- place on wax paper on a sheet tray and freeze
- when ready to use place on grill frozen
- then add toppings when just thawed
Better than take out - make individual crusts. Set out toppings and have a "make you own" pizza party.