Make these dumplings before you leave home and cook them at camp. They freeze nicely and are a great twist on the traditional "pot stickers".
Butternut Squash Gnocchi & Smoked Salmon Recipe
- Ready in: 20 to 30 minutes
- Serves: 8
- Complexity: medium
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp bottle minced ginger
- 1 tsp white or finely ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups of bread flour, plus more as needed
- Smoked Salmon
- Your favorite Asian sauces for dipping - peanut sauce, pineapple teriyaki, wasabi-soy sauce
- Using a sharp knife pierce the squash all over.
- Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes depending on microwave.
- Cut the squash in half and check for tenderness. A fork should easily pierce the flesh. If it is undercooked place cut side down and microwave for 1 minute intervals.
- When it is tender all the way through - scoop flesh out and discard outer peel. Mash until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine the squash, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, salt and black pepper.
- Add flour to the mixture 1 cups at a time to form a dough. Careful not to over stir.
- Place dough on a well floured board and with well-floured hands knead the dough 10 to 12 times - again careful not to over work the dough.
- Divide dough into small sections and create a 3/4 inch rope - then cut into 1/2 in pieces.
- Place on wax paper or the quick release tin foil.
- Repeat the rope and cutting process with the remaining dough.
- If you are freezing them stack layers of the gnocchi filled wax paper into an airtight container.
- When ready to cook them just place them in a salted boiling pot of water until the gnocchi float to the surface.
- Serve along side smoked salmon with the dipping sauces.
- Alternately toss with one of the sauces and add smoked salmon.