This traditional Irish dish serves four and is perfect on a chilly winter evening.
Serve with a fried or poached egg on top and place a patty on a bed of veggies to turn this into a entree.
Bubble and Squeak
- Ready in: About 30 to 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 5 potatoes (boiled, peeled, and diced)
- .5 lb bacon or sausage (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 head cabbage (in .25-inch slices)***
- .5 cup water
- poached or fried eggs (optional)
- In a cast iron skillet, brown the bacon (or sausage) and pour off grease except a spoonful or two.
- Remove the bacon and save.
- Add the cabbage and water, cover, and cook on low for 15-20 minutes (or until the cabbage begins to be tender).
- Add the potatoes and bacon and cook a little longer, allowing flavors to blend. Salt to taste, and add extra water if you need to cook it longer.
- Serve with poached or fried egg.
This can either be served casserole style or formed into patties.
***Be sure to discard the outer leaves of your cabbage head as well as the core.