BRUSCHETTA - quick and tasty Italian appetizer. Easy to make for a potluck.
- Complexity: easy
- loaf of crusty Italian bread
- 5 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- Mix diced tomatoes (juice and all), minced garlic, olive oil, lime juice, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese (keep the rest for later), basil, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- Allow mixture to stand for several hours to marinade.
- Just before serving slice bread at an angle, brush one side with melted butter, and broil on each side until brown.
- Spoon mixture onto bread, and top with reserved Mozzarella.
Best when served immediately to avoid getting soggy.
Ingredients may be adjusted depending on your taste. Try adding sliced black olives or buffalo mozzarella. This is also great tossed with pasta the next day.