Serve warm or room temperature. Make extra campfire baked potatoes the night before so you'll have potatoes already cooked for this recipe. If you have access to a microwave you can shorten prep time by microwaving the potatoes.
Baked Potato Salad
- Serves: 8
- 3 large baking potatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 package precooked bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 pint sour cream
- Bottled crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Mexican Blend cheese, shredded
- A dash or two of Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Heat grill to high or if cooking over a campfire make sure you have hot coals and very little flame.
- Wash and scrub potatoes
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork; brush with oil.
- Wrap potatoes in heavy duty tin foil.
- "Bake" until tender, about an hour.
- Let cool, then cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a skillet cook/heat bacon until crispy. Then drain on a paper towel.
- Combine butter and sour cream in a large bowl season to taste with salt and pepper and hot sauce if you are using
- Stir in the potatoes, bacon, scallions garlic and cheese.
- Serve at room temperature and garnish with cilantro.