A nice hot artichoke and spinach dip, served with toasted baguette or tortilla chips is a great appetizer for any occasion.
Artichoke and Spinach Dip
- Ready in: 20 minutes to assemble & 40 minutes to bake
- 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup frozen or bottled artichokes
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh french baguette, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the frozen artichokes with 2 tsp to 1 tbsp olive oil, with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the artichokes over a baking sheet. Roast the artichokes, stir occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges of the artichokes are browned. Allow the artichokes to cool and then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chopped spinach and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Stir the cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan, lemon juice and cayenne into the onion and spinach mixture. Stir the mixture until the cream cheese and mayonnaise are smooth and uniform. Finally gently stir in the chopped artichokes. If you would like, you can season with salt and pepper as desired. Transfer the dip into an 8 inch square baking dish and spread until it is evenly dispersed.
- At this point, you can cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days or you can serve immediately. To serve, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Uncover, top with shredded cheese and bake until the dip is hot through, and the top is golden brown about 25 minutes. Allow the dip to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- To serve with crostini, cut the fresh baguette into 1/2 inch slices. Spray a light, even coating over both sides of the slices. Lay out in one layer on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and bake until the slices are dry and crispy, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- or just open a bag of your favorite tortilla chips.